Monday, November 22, 2010

#92: Best-Ever Apple Pie


For my first time making a pie, I think that looks pretty good!!

When my mother-in-law, sister-in-law and I were deciding what I make for Thanksgiving, my MIL said that her favorite dessert was apple pie.  Since that was preferred over pumpkin pie (who doesn't like pumpkin pie?!) I offered to make it.  I was not going to spend/waste my time making the crusts since it's so much easier to just buy the premade Pillsbury ones.  So that's exactly what I did.  For the rest of the pie though, I followed this recipe.

Once Thanksgiving got cancelled Allison and I dug into this with a fork!  No pie going to waste at this house!  I don't know if I'd call this "best-ever" but it was really good!  Allison, who doesn't like apples loved this!  I would definitely make this again.


3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup maple sugar or packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3 lb. tart cooking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (8 cups)
2 Tbsp. butter, cut up
1/4 cup whipping cream
1–2 tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. raw sugar

In a large mixing bowl combine granulated sugar, maple sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Add apples; toss to coat. Transfer to pastry-lined pie plate. Dot with butter and pour whipping cream over filling. Trim edge of crust even with edge of pie plate.
Cut an “x” or a design in the center of on of the pastry crusts. Place pastry over filling in pie plate. Seal and crimp edges. Cut small slits in top of crust, if desired. Brush with milk and sprinkle with raw sugar. Place pie on a foil-lined baking sheet. To prevent overbrowning, cover pie edges with foil.
Bake in a 375° oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil from edges. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until fruit is tender and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment