Saturday, November 13, 2010

#80: Monkey Pancakes (Sneaky Chef)


I was looking for a recipe that used up some ripe bananas I had in the freezer.  My first thought (besides banana bread) was to check out my Sneaky Chef cookbook.  Sure enough, Monkey Pancakes was listed and I knew I wanted to try them out on the girls school friends.  If you don't have the "sneaky chef" ingredients to make this, I don't see why you couldn't just omit the orange puree and use all-purpose flour instead.  I'm going to assume you know how to cook pancakes if you are reading this recipe, so I'm leaving out the entire part of the recipe that tells you how to make them. 

I thought these were going to be really good, but they had a much softer consistency than a regular pancake.  It was like the batter never really completely set up.  They were good but not a fantastic pancake.  I'm going to let these totally cool and reheat in the toaster oven to see if that helps, but I doubt it will.  I guess I have to come up with plan B.
1 c mashed bananas
1/4 c orange puree (mixture of carrots and sweet potatoes)

1 large egg
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 c milk
1/2 c flour blend (equal mix of whole wheat flour, white flour and wheat germ)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

In a medium bowl, whisk together the bananas, orange puree, egg, maple syrup and milk.  In another large bowl whisk the remaining ingredients.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones until just blended.  If the batter is too thick, add a touch more milk.  Bake pancakes as you normally would.

No comments:

Post a Comment