Tuesday, November 16, 2010

#85: Cheesy Beef-Corn Chip Skillet

Don't judge this by the picture.  It's supposed to have shredded lettuce and tomatoes on top too, which would give it some color.  I made this for Brian and I tonight not expecting the girls to even want to try it.  Chloe ate a little of it, but Allison kept asking for more and eventually even snuck Chloe's bowl away from her when she wasn't looking!  If you've been reading any of the recipes I post on http://threecookingmamas.blogspot.com/, you know that texture is a big factor in our family and that we put crushed tortilla chips on a lot of meals.  :)  So when this one called for Corn Chips, I knew there was a possibility that we would like this one.  Brian does not like cheese (unless it's mozzarella), so I was a little nervous when I saw it called for Velveeta.  No need to be nervous though because we both liked this and Allison gave it 100 stars!  Brian and I gave it a more realistic 4 stars and will definitely eat this again.  Next time I will make sure to add lettuce (or maybe cabbage since it won't get soggy!), tomatoes and black olives too. 

I got this recipe out of my Kraft Foods Magazine.  I made a few minor changes (listed below in red) to the original recipe though.

1 lb ground beef (I used 3/4 lb ground turkey)
1 small onion, chopped
(I used 1/2)
3/4 c water
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1/4 c purple puree (mix of spinach and blueberries)
1/4 c picante sauce
1/4 c refried beans

4 oz Velveeta, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I used 3 oz of light Velveeta)

2 c corn chips
Sour cream, lettuce and tomato to top (we didn't have any lettuce or tomatoes on hand)


Brown meat with onions in large skillet; drain. Add water and seasoning mix; cook as directed on package. Cover meat mixture with chips and Velveeta; cover. Cook on low heat 5 min. or until Velveeta is melted.  Top with lettuce and tomatoes.
*** The reviews for this said the chips got soggy quickly, which they did.  So I heated and added/melted the Velveeta, then added the chips right before I served it.  ***

No comments:

Post a Comment