Sunday, November 7, 2010

#71: Slow cooker Brats with Sauerkraut and Apples


Yeah, I didn't have much sauerkraut on this for the picture...I guess I didn't put hardly any at all

I don't know if we would make this particular recipe again, but I would definitely use my crockpot to make Brats again.  I didn't like the color of these when it was done (it was too grey for my liking), so I threw the brats on the grill for about 5 minutes after it was done cooking.  But these brats were super moist after cooking in the crockpot!  Brian gave this 3 stars, Allison ate 1 1/2 Brats and Chloe ate an entire brat too (I'd say 5 stars from them), but none of them ate the sauerkraut, apples or onions (big shock!)  I however, gave this recipe 4 stars...I enjoyed it!

Ingredients

8 bratwurst links
1 16-oz. package sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1/2 cup mustard
8 hot dog buns

Preparation
1. Place bratwurst links in slow cooker and top with sauerkraut, apples and onion. Sprinkle with brown sugar and caraway seeds. Cover and cook on low until bratwurst reaches 165ºF on an instant-read thermometer, 3 to 4 hours.

2. Spread 1 Tbsp. mustard on each hot dog bun. Spoon some sauerkraut mixture on buns, top each with a sausage and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment