Monday, November 22, 2010

#91: Sweet Potato Casserole with Coconut Pecan Topping


I told my inlaws I was going to make a vegetable for Thanksgiving and was looking for something holiday-ish and different.  A co-worker told me about this recipe and I really wanted to try it. 

I LOVED this!  I wasn't sure I was going to like the texture because it is all pureed, but I really do like it.  I think the next time I make it, I might try to puree half and then just mash the other half and combine.  A little texture might be a nice change to this.  The topping is FABULOUS!!  I might make this again this week just for myself to have for lunches.  Yum!!

4 cups mashed sweet potatoes (I used 4 sweet potatoes)

1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 eggs, beaten
salt

Topping

1 cup coconut
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup melted butter

Mix all of the casserole ingredients in a mixer until smooth, then spread in a buttered dish.  Mix coconut, brown sugar, chopped pecans, and flour.  Add melted butter.  Sprinkle on top of the potatoes.  Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.


***UPDATE 12/10: I tried to make this a little healthier the second time I made this.  I also changed the texture to see if a chunky sweet potato mash made a difference.  First of all, I actually think this is better pureed!  I will continue to puree as instructed the next time I make this. 
Also, in the sweet potato mix I used 1/8 cup of sugar and couldn't tell much of a difference.  Next time I will do that again!
In the topping, I used 1/2 c chopped pecans and 1/6 cup of brown sugar...again, no difference. ***

2 comments:

  1. Have you made this a third time even healthier?? I would like to give it a try but think the points may be pretty high??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried this again (never had a chance as originally intended) and now, mainly b/c I KNOW the points will be high. : ) Everytime I see coconut in my pantry I think of this recipe...and wish I could make it.

    ReplyDelete