Friday, November 19, 2010

#87: Cowboy Casserole


This recipe reminded me a lot of tater tot casserole which has been passed down from our family.  I've made tater tot casserole before and we were not big fans of it; mainly because we felt the taters were too mushy.  So when I came across this recipe in my TOH Sept. Magazine, it looked good, but also got 4 1/2 stars from taste of home readers.  So I decided to give it a try.  What I didn't realize was this only serves 2!  Next time I would definitely double this (we actually got more like 3 1/2 servings out of this recipe...I probably added way too many potatoes). 

I loved this!  Brian (Mr. Texture), wasn't as big of a fan because the bottom layer or tater tots weren't cruncy.  Next time he wants me to bake the tater tots on a cookie sheet so they are all crispy and then add the meat mixture on top.  Whatever...it was good!


1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
2/3 cup condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/3 cup 2% milk
2 tablespoons sour cream
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups frozen Tater Tots

Directions
In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Stir in the corn, soup, 1/4 cup cheese, milk, sour cream, onion powder and pepper.
Place 1 cup Tater Tots in a greased 3-cup baking dish. Layer with beef mixture and remaining Tater Tots; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Made this tonight...it is totally like the green bean tater tot casserole! Don't tell Brian but i kind of agree with him...it would be yummier to me if it was crispier. I give this a high 3 but Curt was a 4 and a half!

    ReplyDelete