Monday, November 15, 2010

#82: Root Beer Sloppy Joes


This recipe came from my parenting magazine, so I figured if they are recommending it for kids, my three (yes I include my husband in that group...not that I think he's a kid!) would hopefully eat it.  Although we all liked this dinner, we agreed that the root beer gave it an odd flavor and we prefer my Diet Coke Sloppy Joes more.  So I would eat this again, but I don't know if I would specifically make this again.  Try it...let me know what you think of the root beer!

1 Tbsp olive oil

3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb ground sirloin (we used ground turkey)
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup root beer
2/3 cup tomato sauce
Canned diced green chilies, to taste (1 to 3 Tbsp), optional (I added just a little)
1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup minced scallions
4 potato rolls or hamburger buns

1.Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute, just until fragrant.
2.Add the beef and sauté, breaking up gently, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, salt, and pepper Add the root beer, tomato sauce, green chilies (if using), and Worcestershire sauce.
3.Bring to a lively simmer and cook about 15 minutes, stirring often, until thickened. Stir in the scallions. Pile onto rolls or buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment