Thursday, January 5, 2017

#1,860: Crockpot BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole



Often times when I make a meal, I don't care so much if my kids don't like it (hey I expect that from this crew), but it worries me that Brian won't like it either.  When he doesn't like it then I feel like I wasted my time and ingredients!  This was one of those "will they eat it?!" recipes!  
It was no surprise that Chloe hated it, Matthew only liked the cornbread topping, and Allison LOVED it.  Thankfully, Brian also enjoyed this immensely and wouldn't mind me making it again sometime soon!

I loved that this was so super simple to make and took very few ingredients.  AND it has corn in it and my non-veggie eating hubby didn't even complain!!  SCORE! 
1 pound of cooked, or practically cooked chicken, cubed or shredded (I browned my chicken in a pan until it was mostly cooked through, then chopped it up)
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks (optional, I omitted)
1 red onion, diced 
1 cup frozen or fresh corn
1 bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce (18 oz)
This is what it looked like
when I took it out of the crockpot
1/4 cup hot water
Box of cornbread mix (plus the ingredients needed to make it on the box MINUS the oil or butter)


Spray the inside of your stoneware with cooking spray. Cut up the chicken and sweet potato (if adding), and add to the crock. Add the corn. Empty the contents of the barbecue sauce bottle, and then add 1/4 cup of hot water to the bottle, shake, and pour that out, too. Mix well with a spoon.

In a separate bowl, mix together the cornbread topping. Spread the topping on to the chicken mixture.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (Mine cooked for 4 hours and the chicken was definitely done, borderline burning in some spots.  The cornbread was done except for one edge, so I would seriously start watching this after 4 hours). 

No comments:

Post a Comment