Monday, January 16, 2017

#1,869: Eggplant Fries

When I was at the grocery store the other day looking for vegetables to fill my cart with, I noticed that the medium-sized eggplant were 99 cents each!  You can't beat that price, so I threw one in my cart.  I love eggplant when it's breaded and/or fried.  When it's baked or grilled, I like it, but don't necessarily love it.  So when I found this super easy, quick recipe, I decided to give it a try for my lunch.  Although this is a tad bitter (but eggplant generally is), I LOVED these faux fries.  I think they are too mushy to be considered an actual french fry substitute, but I mixed this in a bowl with some paleo taco meat, and I was a huge fan.  It was SO good.  I have eggplant on my grocery list again for later this week now! 

One medium to large eggplant
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. (I started these on 400 degrees, but then bumped up to 450 after 15 minutes or so.  Next time, I'll probably start at 450). 

Cut eggplant into medallions (circles), then stack medallions and cut into French fry-like strips.

Place eggplant strips onto a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season lightly with a bit of salt and pepper.

Pop them in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the majority of them are browned and crispy. Let cool slightly before removing from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment