Wednesday, January 4, 2017

#1,852: Easy Cinnamon Bread French Toast


My family loves french toast.  I personally think that homemade french toast is usually lacking flavor and often is a little too mushy for my liking.  When I make french toast, the first piece or two is generally covered in cinnamon, but I have to keep adding more as I add more bread to the egg mixture.  So I decided I should outsmart myself by using cinnamon bread as my bread base.  My kids loved this, and I've already made it twice for them.  There's a good chance that this will show up on our menu again this week as well.  

Here is what the recipe I use for our egg mixture/base, but feel free to adapt this to your favorite family french toast recipe. 

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (plus more for sprinkling on each piece)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoons sugar
4 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 loaf of cinnamon bread (I think it’s about 10 slices in the bag I bought)

In a shallow bowl whisk the eggs and milk.  Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar and whisk again to combine. 

Lightly spray a griddle (heated to 350 degrees) with non-stick spray.  Dip bread in egg mixture coating both sides.   Place on a griddle and cook until golden brown on the bottom, then flip to cook the other side. Serve with syrup if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy. My husband taught me to start with frozen bread and dip that in the egg mixture. It absorbs less, so doesn't get so mushy. Going to try it with this fancy bread. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh thanks for the tip!! I'll have to definitely try that!!

      Delete