Wednesday, January 4, 2017

#1,850: Crackle Cookies


Here's what I love about this recipe....you can make it ahead of time and freeze (yes with the powedered sugar already on it) and it doesn't make a gigantic amount of cookies.

Here's what I hate about this recipe...it only makes 15 cookies!  Pay attention to that when you are making this recipe!  I did not pay attention to this in the original recipe and was shocked that I got so few cookies out of this.  Had I known, I would have doubled the batch (at least).  However, this probably played into my favor because I did not have any leftover batter to eat from the bowl, or to sneak a cookie off the tray here or there.

As soon as these cooled, I put them on a serving tray, wrapped them in plastic wrap AND foil, and stuck them in the freezer until Christmas Eve.  

These have the perfect chocolate flavor and a nice chewy consistency.  I am a huge fan!!  And it doesn't get powdered sugar all over the place when you eat it like some cookies do.  I will definitely be making these again!

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
Confectioners' sugar

In a bowl, beat sugar, oil, chocolate and vanilla until blended. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until firm enough to handle.

Preheat oven to 350°. With sugared hands (mine were not sugared and they turned out just fine), shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in confectioners' sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. 

Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. 

Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment