Monday, January 16, 2017

#1,870: Cinnamon Roll Sheet Cake

I keep waiting to make this recipe with my kids because
1.  I think it will be the perfect recipe to make for them for breakfast 

2.  It will give my kids an easy recipe for them to try and make with minimal help from me
3.  AND it gives me another reason to use my new half-sheet pans!  (If you do not have one of these you really need to get one.  It is perfect for our family to make things like chicken patties, smaller amounts of tater tots, roasted veggies, etc.  I love that it is a smaller size than my gigantic cookie sheets. 

OK, I should have gone with my intuition on this and NOT used the half sheet pan.  I don't know if mine is smaller than it should be, but when filled, this went pretty close to the top of the pan.  I knew if I put this in the oven as is, I would have a huge bubbled over mess.  So I decided to dump this into a 9x13 pan instead at the last minute.  The cinnamon-sugar mixture got pretty much combined into the cake mix in this process, but I figure it shouldn't change the flavor (just the presentation) of the cake that much.

My family LOVED this.  It is also so incredibly moist.  Next time I'll probably add even more cinnamon to make it more pronounced in the flavor of the cake.  I also will make it in a 9x13 glass pan again and forgo the sheet pan altogether.  


White cake mix
ingredients to complete cake mix: eggs, oil and water
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

For the icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line half sheet pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

Make cake mix according to package directions and spread evenly into sheet pan.

Mix melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon together and drizzle across cake batter. Using a butter knife, swirl butter mixture through cake batter.

Bake about 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean after being inserted into the cake.
While cake bakes, stir powdered sugar, vanilla and just enough milk to create icing the consistency of white glue.

Remove from oven and cool 5-10 minutes before drizzling with icing. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment