Wednesday, January 4, 2017

#1,853: Campfire Chili Cheese Dip

For Christmas Eve, I wanted to make an appetizer that was not only minimal in ingredients, but also could be made mostly ahead of time.  I found this recipe in a recent issue of Taste of Home and knew this would be the one I would try.  Sadly, these are not the greatest pictures, but this is what you get when you are hosting and want to snap a photo before someone digs into the dish!  Personally I thought this lacked a little bit of flavor, but that could have mainly been because of the can of chili I used.  So I would suggest using your favorite brand of canned chili...or make your own!!  I didn't have time, energry, or wanted to take the effor to make my own chili, so I was perfectly content with using canned chili with my family.
The original recipe gives you instructions on how to make this while outdoor camping, but I just threw this in a foil pan (so I didn't have to deal with clean up) and put it in the oven until the cheese was melted.  I would definitely make this again!!

1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 thinly sliced green onions, optional
Tortilla chips or Scoops

Prepare campfire or grill for medium-low heat. Spread cream cheese in the bottom of a 9-in. disposable foil pie pan (I doubled this and used a 9x13 foil pan). Top with chili; sprinkle with cheese.

Place pan on a grill grate over a campfire or on grill until cheese is melted, 5-8 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with green onion. Serve with corn chips. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.

Microwave directions: Spread the cream cheese in the bottom of a 9-in. glass pie plate. Top with chili; sprinkle with cheese. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is mostly melted. Let stand in microwave 2 minutes before serving. Serve with corn chips.

Oven directions: 
Spread cream cheese in the bottom of a 9-in. disposable foil pie pan. Top with chili; sprinkle with cheese.  Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with tortilla chips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment