Thursday, January 5, 2017

#1,861:Brussels Sprouts With Lemon And Garlic

Raise your hand if you love brussel sprouts!!  (Hand raised high!!)

I used to hate these little babies. I thought they smelled funny and would linger throughout the house forever.  Thankfully my mom didn't make them often.  Then I became an adult and started roasting them and I love these little guys!  They are so under-loved.

Normally I roast mine in the oven at 425 degrees or so for probably close to 30 minutes.  I'm sure I'm overcooking the heck out of them, but that's the way I like them the most.  This recipe suggested broiling for 15 minutes and I was super skeptical.  But as you can see from the photo above, they are definitely done.  BUT you have to really watch them because the little ones (and the leaves that fall off) burn very quickly.  I eventually moved it to the middle rack of my oven so it would keep cooking but was away from the heat a bit.  


This is a really good recipe, and I loved the lemon in it.  Personally this was even better with a little bit of shaved Parmesan on it, but I enjoyed it as written too!

1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (quartered if large)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (I used minced)
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh chives (I omitted)

Preheat the broiler. Pour the olive oil into a small saucepan. Remove wide strips of zest from the lemon using a vegetable peeler, taking care not to get the white pith. Add the zest to the olive oil and heat over medium heat until the zest is sizzling, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.

Put the Brussels sprouts on a rimmed baking sheet; drizzle the olive oil over the sprouts, leaving the zest in the pan. Toss the Brussels sprouts and spread in a single layer (it's OK if some of the leaves fall off). Season with 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper.

Broil, stirring often, until the Brussels sprouts are tender and charred in spots, 12 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice the reserved lemon zest; add to the Brussels sprouts along with the garlic during the last 2 minutes of broiling. Transfer to a bowl, add the chives and toss. Season with salt and pepper.



No comments:

Post a Comment