Saturday, January 14, 2017

#1,864: Tahini Blondies

Just the other day I was looking at a half used jar of tahini in my pantry and thinking I should probably just get rid of it because I don't see myself using it any time in the near future, and I've had it for a while.  Then wouldn't you know, I come across a recipe for Tahini Blondies in a recent issue of Real Simple magazine that will use up almost exactly what I have left in my jar!  Thankfully I also had every other ingredient on hand that I needed, so I whipped up these babies on our icy day (soon to be weekend) stuck inside and at home.  (I also may be using cooking as an excuse to avoid doing some school work...just maybe!).  

I am trying to be more mindful and health conscious, so I didn't really want to eat these, so I had a bite of one to try it.  You definitely get the aftertaste of the tahini, so if you dislike tahini, I would avoid these.  My kids think they taste like peanut butter (they do a little) and I'm thinking peanut butter or sun butter would be another good substitution.  BUT the purpose of making these was to use tahini so I'm still glad that's what I used.  1 of my kids wasn't overly impressed with these and said she could take it or leave it.  The other 2 however, ate a piece of one and then immediately asked for another.  These 2 are my nut loving kids though!  

1 3/4 c packed light brown sugar
1 c tahini

1/4 c melted butter
2 large eggs
1 1/2 all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

In a bowl combine the brown sugar, tahini, melted butter, and eggs.  Stir in in the flour, salt, and baking soda. 

Transfer to an 8 inch square baking dish lined with parchment paper.  Top with 1 tsp flaky sea salt (I used about half).  Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  (After 25 minutes, I bumped the temp up to 350 and baked for about another 10 minutes because mine still were not done in the middle). 

No comments:

Post a Comment