Sunday, January 31, 2016

#1,766: Taco Casserole with Sweet Potato Crust

I really, really loved this healthy taco casserole.  The worst part of this recipe is only eating a reasonable serving size.  I could have easily eaten way more...yes I enjoyed it that much.  Next time I think I'm going to start to pre-cook the sweet potato crust for about 15 minutes so that it gets more browned and crispy rather than soft and mushy, and I'll definitely add way more garnishes to it too.  :)  Yum, Yum, Yum! 

1 packet of taco seasoning mix (or use a homemade mix)
1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 large raw sweet potato, grated
1 egg, whisked
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced (I omitted)
1/2 green bell pepper, diced (I omitted)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 green chili pepper, chopped

Garnish (optional)
Olives, diced tomatoes, sliced avocados, shredded cheese, etc.

In a frying pan add 2 tbsp of a fat of your choice and cook the ground beef, onions, peppers and 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning.  I personally needed more taco seasoning and used an entire packet.  Cook until ground beef is brown and veggies are tender.

Add the 1/2 cup tomato sauce, and stir. Simmer awhile to allow flavors to combine, and set aside.

Next peel and grate the sweet potato, and place in a small mixing bowl.  In another small bowl, whisk 1 egg, and pour it into the sweet potato bowl.  Mix egg and sweet potato together. 

Grease an 8" x 8" baking dish (or similar size pie pan) with coconut oil, then press the potato/egg mixture into bottom and sides of dish to form a crust.  Pour the cooked meat and veggie mixture over the crust and even out into a flat layer.  Bake at 350º F for about 30 minutes. 


Remove from oven and garnish with desired toppings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment