Sunday, January 17, 2016

#1,753: Sloppy Moussakas

I know this isn't the greatest photo but my family was hungry and I just had to get it on the table...family wins out over a better photo.  :)

This recipe was also supposed to be made using a homemade cheese sauce/roux type sauce, but 1. I knew my family probably wouldn't like it and 2. Using cheese slices was SOOOOOOO much easier and faster.  So that's what I did.  My family loved this recipe.  I loved the different flavor with the seasonings used in this recipe, and the cheese and crusty bread gave it a great texture combination.  I would definitely make this recipe again.  

1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 pound ground lamb or beef (I used ground turkey)
Salt and pepper
About 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 onion, finely chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken or beef stock

I omitted these ingredients because it was used for the cheese sauce.  Instead I used thinly sliced provolone.

2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
Freshly grated nutmeg
A small handful of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

4 ciabatta or other rolls, split and toasted (I toasted mine after filling with the meat mixture)

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, over medium-high heat. Add the lamb or beef and cook, crumbling the meat, until well browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and cinnamon. Add the onion, garlic, crushed red pepper and oregano, and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for a minute then stir in the stock and simmer over low heat until thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.

I omitted this: In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook until thickened slightly; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in the cheese.


To serve, spoon the meat mixture onto the rolls. Top with the cheese sauce (I topped with the provolone).  I also placed mine in the oven for about 10 minutes to melt the cheese and crisp up the bread a bit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment