Sunday, January 31, 2016

#1,764: Lentil Tacos (filling)


Yes, I know that when you look at this picture it doesn't look anything like a taco.  :)  But I decided to eat this served over roasted veggies instead...although I sure do love a corn tortilla and guacamole!!  I love lentils.  Mainly because they remind me of my grandma who passed away almost 3 years ago.  I have so many memories of eating lentils served over ditalini pasta with some grated Parmesan cheese on top.  So when I saw this recipe for lentil tacos, I was super excited to try them.  They combine my love for my grandma with my (much lesser) love for taco meat.  I loved this.  Yes it would be even better served as a traditional taco, but regardless, it was still delicious.

The recipe below says to cook in a rice cooker, but I made this in a pot on the stove.  When the beans were done I added the rest of the ingredients, including the cooked ground turkey and let this simmer to let the flavors meld. 

1 cup brown or green lentils
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
½ medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp taco seasoning (or more to taste)
2⅔ cups water (I added more to make while cooking as it needed it)
I also added 1/2 lb cooked ground turkey

Rinse and sort lentils and then place in rice cooker.  Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix. Close lid and cook on white rice setting. Midway through cooking (after about 20 minutes) carefully open lid and stir ingredients a few times with a long handled wooden spoon. (Avoid coming into contact with escaping steam.) Close lid and continue cooking.
When the cooking cycle ends, open the lid and stir ingredients a few times and then close and let sit for 10 minutes on the keep-warm setting.

Carefully transfer ingredients from rice cooker to a large bowl. Partially blend the mixture with 3-4 bursts of an immersion blender or place 1-2 cups in a blender or food processor, mix then return to the bowl and stir.

Use in the place of meat in tacos, salads, burritos and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment