Sunday, January 10, 2016

#1,752: Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

Oh my gosh, this might be my new favorite healthy comfort food.  This is outstanding!!  Or at least I loved it.  I would strongly suggest cooking the meat mixture down so that there is very little liquid left because it pooled on the bottom and I needed to soak some of it out after I took my first piece of this out.  Although it could be because of the tomatoes I used.  Not a big deal, but just a suggestion.  I love the Worcestershire flavor in this meat filling.  Meat and veggies topped with sweet potatoes, what could be better?!!?

2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound ground meat (I used ground turkey)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup beef broth
1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes (I used petite diced)
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas and carrots (I used just peas)
Grated Parmesan and fresh rosemary for garnish (optional)

In a pot of cold salted water, bring the sweet potatoes to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes or until tender; then drain. Mash the sweet potatoes with butter, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. Set aside.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat six to eight individual casserole pans (or one large pan...I used a 9x9 pan) with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large skillet, cook the ground meat over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a spoon. Cook until no longer pink. Transfer the meat to a colander and drain well. Wipe out your skillet with a paper towel.

In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook until tender (4-5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in the broth, crushed tomatoes, rosemary, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened. Then stir in the cooked meat, corn, peas and carrots. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook 2 minutes.

Divide this mixture among the prepare baking dishes. Spread the top with the mashed sweet potatoes. Place dishes onto a large baking sheet.


Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned. Top with Parmesan cheese before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment