Sunday, January 24, 2016

#1,759: Spanish Beef and Rice Bowls With Avocado

I decided to make this recipe easier for myself by using leftover taco meat made with ground turkey.  I still added a lot of the other ingredients, but omitted the cumin since it is already in the taco seasoning packet that I used.  I loved this.  I ate it for several days for lunch, it was so good.  I don't normally cook with/use capers, but I did like the slightly salty taste it gave this dish.  

1 cup brown rice
¾ cup coarsely chopped roasted red peppers
¼ cup pitted green olives, sliced (I used sliced black olives, not in photo though)
1 tablespoon drained capers
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 pound ground sirloin (I used leftover ground turkey seasoned taco meat)
1½ teaspoons cumin (I omitted)
Kosher salt and black pepper
4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 avocado, quartered (I used a 100 calorie pack of guacamole)

Cook the rice according to the package directions.

Combine the peppers, olives, capers, and vinegar in a large bowl.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground sirloin and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cumin and 2 tablespoons of the peppers and olives and cook for 2 minutes more. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.

Divide the rice evenly among 4 bowls and top evenly with the meat, lettuce, remaining peppers and olives, and avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment