Sunday, January 17, 2016

#1,754: Shredded Sweet Soy Chicken


I decided not to shred this chicken and to slice it instead because I knew my family would like this less if shredded.  I originally intended to eat this like a rice bowl, but again, new my kids and husband wouldn't be as big of fans so for them I told them they were eating teriyaki chicken (they don't know the difference).  My husband would kill me if he found out that I added grape jelly to this sauce.  I swear anyone reading this better not tip him off, and I can only hope he doesn't read this too closely! (He has a grape phobia...weird I know).

Okay, stop laughing about the grape phobia....and let's move on.  Overall, this recipe was a little salty because of the soy sauce, so I might cut back on that a little next time but overall, I enjoyed this.  Brian enjoyed it too but the kids weren't huge fans.

Do you ever get the bagged coleslaw/salad mix with the crispy wontons and sliced almonds?  If so, this is what I served my chicken over.  I just tossed the dressing it came with, added the chopped chicken and added the wontons and almonds.  It was really, really good.  Not as healthy with the wontons, but still good.  


1 lb chicken breast (skinless, boneless pieces)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ onion, finely diced
1 tbsp olive oil
⅓ cup soy sauce
⅓ cup white vinegar
3 tbsp dark jam (I used grape jelly)
½ tbsp ground black pepper
¾ cups water

Sauce Thickening
2 tsp cornstarch
3 tsp water

Slow Cooker: Place all the Shredded Chicken ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours (or 2½ hours on high).

The chicken is ready when it can be easily shredded with two forks. Remove the chicken from the liquid and shred it while it is warm. Set aside and cover to keep warm.

Transfer the liquid to a saucepan and bring to simmer. Reduce to around1¼ cups - it should only take a few minutes.

Mix together the Sauce Thickening ingredients and add to the saucepan. Simmer until it thickens to a syrup consistency.

Toss the chicken in the sauce and serve over rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment