Sunday, January 10, 2016

#1,747: Black Bean Sweet Potato Quinoa Turkey Chili

I was supposed to use my new pressure cooker with this recipe, as it seemed the least intimidating to try using it with, but I chickened out.  So I decided to throw it in my crockpot instead.  I LOVED this recipe.  It was healthy, and comforting and filling.  I will definitely be making this recipe again and is a great meal to make on the weekend and then have for lunches and/or dinners during the week.  I'm a big fan of this one!


1 tablespoon olive oil (I omitted)
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (I used 1/2 jalapeno)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock
1 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup quinoa
2 large boneless skinless chicken breast, uncooked and diced (I used cooked ground turkey)
1 tablespoon lime juice
avocado, cilantro, sour cream, cheese, optional (I omitted)


If using the pressure cooker, here are the instructions.  I however put the sweet potato, onion, garlic, chili powder, jalapeno, cumin, salt, broth, black beans, diced tomatoes and cooked (crumbled) ground turkey in a crockpot and cooked on high for about 3-4 hours (until the sweet potatoes were done).  Then I added the cooked quinoa and the lime juice. 

Saute and add oil to the pressure cooker pot. When oil is hot, add the sweet potato and onion and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.

Stir in chili powder, chipotle, cumin and salt. Add chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes, quinoa, and chicken and stir to combine.

Lock lid in place, select High Pressure and 4 minutes cook time and start. When timer beeps, turn off pressure cooker, wait 5 minutes, then do a quick pressure release.

Stir in the lime juice and add additional salt as needed. If necessary, let chili rest unplugged for several minutes uncovered and the quinoa will absorb additional liquid.

Garnish individual bowls with avocado, cilantro, sour cream or shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment