Sunday, January 17, 2016

#1,756: Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread

I THOUGHT my kids were going to fall head over heels in love with this recipe, but I think the changes I made to it may have changed their mind.  LOL.  I was out of Greek yogurt so I used mashed bananas and the banana flavoring is a bit overpowering.  To me, this is really good....to 2 out of 3 of them, this is ok (God love Allison for almost always loving anything I make).  But don't let that stop you from making this, just used the Greek yogurt (or plain vanilla yogurt, or even sour cream).  Maybe next time I'll try canned pumpkin.... :) 

1 and 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder (or 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder)
3/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 9x5 (or 8x4) loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.

(I just squeezed out as much as I could...)Place the shredded zucchini on a couple paper towels to absorb some (but not all!) moisture. Press a paper towel on top as well. Set aside until step 4.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, instant coffee, and chocolate chips together until combined. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla together until completely combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and lightly whisk until combined. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the zucchini. Pour/spoon batter into prepared baking pan.

Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow bread to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack. Slice and serve when bread has completely cooled. Store leftover bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment