Sunday, January 24, 2016

#1,763: Cheesy Crockpot Chicken Taquitos

So way back in 2013, I made a similar baked taquito recipe, but this one was SO much easier and my family loved it.  Chloe (picky eater #2) said she loved it so much, she wanted me to make it again this week AND for her birthday (in May).  (She may have also been making faces of pure joy as she ate this too).

TMI, but I once got the flu after eating chicken and salsa, so recipes like this always make me nervous, but I was happily surprised that I not only ate this, I enjoyed it.  I added more chicken to this and a little less cream cheese to make my family happy, and I got 11 taquitos out of this (using the small taco size tortilla shells).  

2 uncooked chicken breasts (I used 5 chicken breast tenders)
1 packet taco seasoning
6 ounces cream cheese, cubes (I used 4 oz)
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 taco-sized flour tortillas (I got 11 out of my chicken)

Place chicken breasts in a 2-3 quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning, add cream cheese cubes, and water. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low, or for 4-6 hours on high.

When cooked, with two forks, shred the chicken in the Crock-Pot, add cheddar cheese, and stir to evenly coat the chicken. (I threw my chicken into my stand mixer and shredded it up that way.  And I thought my family would think the sauce was too much, so I added about 1/2 of the sauce back into the chicken and discarded the rest before adding the cheese.)

Preheat oven to 400 F. Then spoon shredded chicken into the center of the flour tortillas. Roll tightly, and place on a parchment-lined (or lightly greased) baking sheet. If desired, spray the tops of the taquitos generously with olive oil spray.

Cook in preheated oven for 8-12 minutes, or until tortillas are crisp. Serve with salsa or cilantro-ranch for dipping if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment