Sunday, January 10, 2016

#1,749: Zucchini Bars

These zucchini bars are a huge hit with my family and I wish I would have made them sooner (I pinned them FOUR years ago!).  Don't let the frosting/glaze discourage you from making this spiced zucchini bread, because it said to use softened butter with the powdered sugar, and my gut told me I should melt it first but I didn't.  I definitely should have, as there are tiny little crumbles of butter in this recipe.  Doesn't affect the taste at all, but it does make it look weird.  I also added some mini chocolate chips to make this even better...although a little less healthy!  :) 

2/3 cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup shredded zucchini, drained
½ cup chopped nuts (I omitted and added mini chocolate chips instead)

Spice Frosting
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened (MELT this!)
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3 to 4 teaspoons milk

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of 9- or 8-inch square pan. In large bowl, mix brown sugar, butter, vanilla and egg. Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon cloves. Stir in zucchini and nuts. Spread in pan.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

In medium bowl, mix all frosting ingredients until smooth and spreadable. Spread frosting over bars. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.

No comments:

Post a Comment