Sunday, September 19, 2010

#31: Muffins that taste like donuts


Yes, that is the actual name of this recipe.  And yes, it is a good description.  I made these into mini muffins and made my first batch using whole wheat flour.  I thought they were a little dense and since I needed to make a second batch for the girls to take to school tomorrow, I figured I'd try regular white flour and see if it made a difference.  It did!  Just the texture of the batter itself was completely different.  The whole wheat flour was thick and held it's "shape" in the muffin cup.  The regular flour batter was much thinner.  So for me, I'd suggest NOT using whole wheat flour.  (Not as healthy, but tastes more like a doughnut)

This recipe also says to dip the whole muffin in butter and coat in cinnamon/sugar.  We tried just dipping the tops and also dipping the entire muffin in butter and Brian and I both felt it was better (and much easier to eat!) if you just dip the tops. 

This recipe came from the Pioneer Woman and you can't go wrong with her recipes! http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/breads/muffins-that-taste-like-donuts/

1-¾ cup Flour

1-½ teaspoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoons Salt
½ teaspoons Nutmeg
½ teaspoons Cinnamon
⅓ cups Oil
¾ cups White Sugar
1 whole Egg
¾ cups Milk

FOR THE TOPPING:
¼ cups Butter
⅓ cups White Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon

Preparation Instructions
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Combine oil, sugar, egg and milk. Add dry ingredients and stir only to combine.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a bowl. Combine the white sugar with the cinnamon in another bowl.
Shake muffins out while still hot. Dip muffins in butter, then into the sugar/cinnamon mix. Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment