Wednesday, September 15, 2010

YONR #25: Maple syrup Acorn Squash

The last time I made acorn squash, I pureed it for Chloe's baby food.  One of the teachers in my school brought in some fresh acorn squash from her garden, so I was excited to try it for myself this time instead of just pureeing it.  So I googled acorn squash and quickly came upon this recipe:
Only Chloe and I will be eating this one.  Personally, I liked this recipe (4 stars from me), but I think it needs the sweetness of the "sauce."  I liked cutting it into pieces and dipping it into the syrup.  So next time I'm going to make as directed, however in a small sauce pan I am going to cook a little more butter, salt, brown sugar and maple syrup and let it simmer/thicken into an actual sauce.  Cut the acorn squash into chunks and drizzle the sauce over the top.  It may not be the healthiest way to eat acorn squash but it will sure be yummy!


1 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
1/2 Tbsp butter, per half
dash of salt per half
1 Tbsp brown sugar per half
1 tsp maple syrup, per half

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash the outside of the squash. Cut squash in half and remove seeds with a large spoon.Take a knife and just make a few, shallow cuts in the squash (called "scoring"), so that the next ingredients can really soak in. Don't cut all the way through the skin, though. Place both halves in a small baking dish.


To each half add: butter, salt, brown sugar and maple syrup. No need to stir or mix.

Place the dish into the preheated oven, and cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. It might take a little more, or a little less, depending on the size of your acorn squash, and how your oven heats. When the squash is done, it will be very soft and a little browned. Better to be a tad overcooked than undercooked with this one! Makes 2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment