Saturday, September 18, 2010

YONR #27: Crunchy Falafel Pitas

This recipe came from my ALL YOU Magazine.  This is what it is supposed to look like:
Mine isn't that perfect!  Those are perfectly round falafels. I had a hard time gettng my chickpeas to puree in the food processor so I had to add about 1 c of water to the mixture.  I think this changed the texture and made it more difficut to form into patties.  I still think they taste good though1  Here is what mine turned out looking like:
Maybe not as pretty but it still looks good right??  Totally  not as pretty!  I think it needs lettuce in the picture too.  Anyhow this is how I ended up eating this one (cut up w/garden fresh tomatoes thanks to my friend Judy!)  I really enjoyed this one!  I'm hoping to take this as my lunch this week so hopefully it will reheat easily.  Or maybe it will still be good cold...hang on while I go check...nope, tastes better warm.  Although eating it cold enhances the chickpea flavor so someone else might enjoy it that way!

Since mine was so sticky and nearly impossible to form into patties, I found it easiest to fill a small bowl with flour and then with large spoon I scooped about 3 tbsp or so of mixture and dumped it in a big clump right into the flour.  I tossed a little bit of flour on top and then shook the bowl until the falafel was covered.  Then I was able to pick it up carefully and form it into patties without it sticking to my hands. 

I intended to bake these to make them healthier but I thought they would need the texture and crunch of being fried in olive oil.  I think I made a good call there.

Overall I gave these 3 1/2 stars.  I enjoyed them and I'd make them again but not on a regular basis. 

Dip:
1 cup plain yogurt


1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
I added a few shakes of dill to mine.  (garlic yogurt didn't sound as appealing)
Combine yogurt and garlic in a bowl and season with salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.


2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cumin
1 large egg
1/2 small red onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
6 pita breads, split
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small head romaine lettuce


In a food processor, combine chickpeas, 1/2 cup flour, cumin, egg and 1/2 tsp. salt and process until almost smooth. (I had to add water a little bit at a time or my food processor wouldn't move)  Add onion and pulse just to combine. Place remaining 2 Tbsp. flour on a plate (I needed about a cup of flour!). Form chickpea mixture into 12 1/2-inch-thick patties. Dredge each patty in flour.

Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook until golden, turning once, about 8 minutes total (work in batches if skillet won't fit all patties). Slide patties into pitas, add tomatoes and lettuce, top with reserved yogurt sauce and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment