Saturday, September 11, 2010

YONR #19: Crockpot Applesauce


On Labor Day we took the girls to Curtis Orchard to go apple picking.  Chloe has been enjoying eating apples all week, but Allison doesn't like apples, except for applesauce, so she requested that we make some.  So on this dreary, rainy Saturday that's exactly what we did. 

I've made applesauce with my students before and just used apples, and a little cinnamon and sugar and just let it cook all day at school in the crockpot.  Today I figured I'd try to find an actual recipe.  This is the one I found: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/applesauce/  This recipe though was intended for the stovetop, so I altered it a bit for us.  The recipe below is my variation of it.  Allison and I both gave this recipe 5 stars! We loved it!!!

Ingredients

3 to 4 lbs of peeled, cored, and quartered apples. (Make sure you use a good cooking apple like Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Fuji, Jonathan, Mcintosh, or Gravenstein.)  We used a combo of Jonamac and Golden Delicious only b/c that's what we picked!
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cinnamon sticks
1-2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/8 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of white sugar
3/4 cup of water
pinch of salt

Put all ingredients into a crockpot. Stir to combine.  Cover and cook for 6 hours on high.  Turn of crockpot and remove cinnamon sticks.  Mash with potato masher.

This can be served either hot or refrigerated. Freezes easily, lasts up to one year in a cold freezer.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Tracy! We are apple picking too and I wanted to make applesauce out of it! Curt loves his apple sauce! Did the website say anything about what it had to be frozen in? Canning supplies or is tupperware fine?!?! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't say, but we were going to freeze just in tupperware...however it didn't make as much as I thought and we ate it all already! This one was yummy!!

    ReplyDelete