Tuesday, September 28, 2010

#42: Deep Dish Pizza Casserole


Okay, this really isn't the right name for this recipe.  This tasted NOTHING like deep dish pizza.  I'll admit, I was VERY skeptical about trying this recipe because it is basically a ground beef pizza filling on top of macaroni and cheese.  However when I looked at the recipe it got 4 stars out of over 200 reviews.  That had to say something for this dish right?

I am happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised with this one.  The girls weren't huge fans (I totally thought they would love this one!) but if you like Velveeta macaroni and cheese, then this recipe is for you!  I actually didn't make this they way I was supposed to (mainly because I forgot to throw it in the oven!) but I still enjoyed it.  And if I make this again, I will try baking it in the oven to see if it changes the way this tastes. 

1 pkg. (12 oz.) VELVEETA Shells and Cheese Dinner
1 lb. ground beef
1 green pepper, chopped (I omitted)
1 can (8 oz.) pizza sauce
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup KRAFT Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese (I omitted)

HEAT oven to 375ºF.  Prepare Macaroni and Cheese Dinner as directed on package (I used 3/4 cheese mixture). While Macaroni is cooking, brown meat with peppers and onions in large skillet; drain. Stir in pizza sauce.


Spoon Dinner into 8-inch square baking dish; top with meat mixture and mozzarella. Cover and Bake 20 min. or until heated through

Freeze ahead:  I made the meat mixture on my freezer cooking day, froze and then put in the fridge to defrost 2 days before we were going to eat it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment