Sunday, September 26, 2010

#38: Scalloped Pineapple


I was looking for a side dish to make for next weekend that wasn't a form of jello.  So I came across this recipe in my church cookbook and it was submitted by three different people, so I figured it would be a good one to try.  (And I had all of the ingredients on hand!  Double Bonus!)

When I made this I halved the recipe, so in the picture you will notice it looks "thin".  Sadly, I wasn't a huge fan of this dish.  However it reminded me of a baked frech toast and I usually think the bread is too soggy.  So if I make this again I would buy a good thicker, heartier bread that can stand up to the wetness of the egg and butter.  (Meijer sells sandwhich bread that is more dense, like english muffin bread.  I think that would be better).  I think this would make a better dessert rather than a side dish because it is sweet!

1 stick butter or margarine
6 slices white bread, cubed
4 eggs beaten
3/4 c sugar
20 oz crushed pineapple, undrained

Melt butter.  Add bread and stir.  Combine eggs and sugar in a bowl, beating thoroughly.  Combine butter and bread mixture with eggs and sugar mixture.  Add pineapple.  Pour into a 8x8 glass baking dish.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.  Serve warm and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment