Saturday, May 4, 2013

#928 and #929: Chickpea Salad with Cilantro-lime Vinaigrette


This post is actually going to be 2 recipes in one.  Normally I would split this into two separate blog posts, but I figured it would just be easiest to combine them.  The recipe for the Chickpea salad really isn't much a of recipe; it's just a long title name:   "A refreshing and healthy cold salad made with corn, chickpeas, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, green pepper and red onion with a cilantro-lime vinaigrette.

I can handle that recipe, and it fits well with my just-throw-it-all-together-and-forget-about-measuring-mantra! 

The problem with the chickpea non-recipe was that it called for cilantro-lime vinaigrette but didn't give a recipe for it.  So I took to the internet and found one with good reviews.  Then I added it to my chickpea salad and I had a whole complete recipe.

I actually, really enjoyed this salad.  I made it on Sunday and enjoyed it almost all week for lunches.  It's a great store-in-a-mason-jar meal.  I would definitely make this again.  It did need something though, but I'm still trying to figure out what.  I'm definitely adding some black pepper next time and I might add a little jalapeno too.

So, here's the ingredients.  Feel free to use as much or as little as you like.  The amounts listed below is what I used.  You don't have to use the same amounts I did.  Make it your own.

1/2 bag frozen corn
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cucumber, diced
7 cherry tomatoes, diced
1 green pepper, diced

1/4 of a red onion, finely chopped
Cilantro-lime Vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
 
Place all of the salad ingredients in a bowl.  Set aside.  Combine the ingredients for the vinaigrette.  Add to the salad and toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment