Monday, May 27, 2013

#946: Slow Cooker Chicken and Stuffing with Onions


If I would have told my family I wanted to make something with French fried onions they would have said, "no way!"  So I tried this recipe which snuck it in and cooked it on top.  No one could tell they were on top and no one complained.  I've made crockpot chicken and stuffing before but I have to admit I enjoyed this one much more.  Probably because it had more "liquid" in it and kept the chicken moist.  My kids don't like stuffing so I don't know how often I'll make this recipe, but it sure was easy and good.

1 large white onion
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (mine were mainly still frozen and cooked just fine)
1/2 cup water, divided in half
1 box Stove Top Stuffing
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/3 cup French Fried Onions

First take the large onion and cut it into large pieces and place on the bottom of the cooker. Then put your chicken pieces on top of the onion. The onions act as a rack sort of and keep the chicken off the bottom where they would get more direct heat and may dry out more. Next, add 1/4 cup of water to keep some moisture on the bottom. 

Sprinkle the uncooked stuffing over the top of the chicken.

Next mix the sour cream, soup, and remaining water together well. Then dollop it onto the stuffing – it’s very thick – and gently spread out.  Sprinkle the fried onions over the top. Put on your lid and cook about 3-4 hours on high.

No comments:

Post a Comment