Saturday, May 4, 2013

#930: "Skinny" Hash Browns, Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Casserole


I love breakfast.  I used to not be a breakfast eater but the older I get the more I enjoy eggs and egg/breakfast dishes.  I wish I could get my family to enjoy it as much as I do, but they really aren't egg fans.  I can't blame them.  Growing up the only way I would eat eggs was if they were scrambled and had at least 1 1/2 slices of American cheese melted on top.  I've tried giving it to my kids multiple times and they just don't like it.  Oh well, more for me. 

Although I definitely enjoyed this recipe, I think I enjoyed it more because I added some veggies.  Next time I'm adding some shredded cheddar cheese too.  It needs it. 


12 slices bacon or turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
1½ cups onions, chopped and sauteed
½ cup fat-free sour cream
½ cup fat-free cottage cheese
½ cup fat-free milk
2 eggs (I used 1/2 cup of egg substitute)
2 egg whites
¾ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt or salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
4 cups frozen hash browns, not defrosted
Broccoli and yellow bell peppers, cut up/diced

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.


In a large bowl, add cooked onions, crumbled bacon, sour cream, cottage cheese, milk, eggs, egg whites, broccoli and bell peppers, ¼ teaspoon seasoning salt or salt and pepper.  Mix well.

Pour mixture into baking pan. Spread evenly.  Cover the top evenly with frozen hash browns.  Make sure to break up the chunks of potato. Spray the top generously with cooking spray.  Sprinkle top with ½ teaspoon seasoning salt or salt and a little pepper.  Cover casserole with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes.

Remove cover and bake an additional 30 minutes. To crisp the hash browns, place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Be sure to keep an eye on it while broiling to not burn.  Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes to set. Cut into 6 slices.

This casserole can be reheated and it freezes great too!  It can be easily doubled and made in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
Makes 6 serving (each serving, 1 slice)

According to the original website, 1 slice is 6 ww+ pts.

No comments:

Post a Comment