Saturday, May 4, 2013

#931: Apple Bread


I had quite a few bananas ripening on my counter and I wanted to make something other than a traditional banana bed with it.  So since this one had apples in it as well, I figured we'd give it a try.  It definitely was easy to prepare, although most banana bread recipes are.  After this cooled, I cut it into slices and then stuck it in the freezer.  Now we'll have apple bread ready to add to breakfasts or for snacks for quite a while. 

Although we enjoyed this (and it's even better with a little butter on it), it's kind of dry and dense.  It could be a result of the cook and not the recipe.  Regardless, it's nothing super special so I don't know if I would make this again.  Will we eat it and enjoy it, for sure.  Will I go out of my way to dig this recipe out again, probably not. 


8 Tbsp butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 apples (I used 1 apple and 1 mashed banana)
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4-6 oz chopped walnuts (optional)


Peel and core the apples. Dice into small cubes.  Soften the butter and mix in the sugar. Add in the eggs and milk and mix completely.  Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl and add to the wet ingredients.  Mix in the apples.  Don’t over mix; just break up any large clumps of flour and get everything moist.  Lightly mix in the optional walnuts.

Carefully pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake at 350 F for one hour.  Remove from oven and let rest in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment