Saturday, May 4, 2013

#933: Healthier Salisbury Steak


I'll admit, I was very afraid my family would not eat this recipe.  Especially since it was covered in gravy.  I like gravy on my food but most of the others do not.  So at the last minute I decided not to pour gravy all over the "steaks" and serve it in little cups on the side to dip into instead.  Good call, because no one except for me liked the gravy. 

This recipe calls for 1 cup of water, which made my steaks super liquid-y and I was afraid it was not going to hold together well. BUT I made these the night before and rolled into the patties and stuck in the fridge until the next night.  Almost 18-24 hours later, the stuffing mix has absorbed the liquid and it held together really well.  Unfortunately all of my patties also stuck together so I basically had to remake them.  So if you plan to make this ahead of time, combine all of the steak ingredients and place in a sealed container in your fridge.  Then just before cooking them, roll into the patties and cook as directed. 

Also, I think these are too thick and they browned up a lot but the middles weren't cooked all the way thru yet.  So my final batch looked more like big hamburgers than a traditional salisbury steak, but at least they were cooked thru and not over cooked on the outside.  I loved these.  I probably loved it the most of my family, except for maybe Allison who probably could have out-eaten us all. 

1-1/2 lb.  lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 package stuffing mix for chicken
1 onion, finely chopped
1 egg
1 cup water, divided
1 tbsp. oil
1 jar beef gravy
 
Mix first 4 ingredients and 1 cup water. Shape into 6 (3/4-inch-thick) oval patties.  Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 5 min. Turn. Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 min. or until done (160ºF). Mix gravy with 1/2 cup water; pour over patties. Bring to boil; cover. Simmer on low heat 5 min.  Serve with meat and gravy; sprinkle with parsley.     

No comments:

Post a Comment