Saturday, May 25, 2013

#941: Kiwi Muffins


This is supposed to be a clean eating recipe, but I substituted so many of the "clean" ingredients, I can't possibly consider it a clean recipe.  I am not a kiwi lover.  I sort-of, kind-of like it.  So I'm definitely not going to be the best judge for this recipe.  So I'm turning this post over to my two best reviewers:

Allison (age 6, kiwi lover) and Matthew (age 14 months, muffin lover).
Allison: "Um, I can see the kiwi because it's green.  It tastes kind of chewy.  Is there bananas in it?  Do I have to eat the whole thing?"  As you can probably see where this is going, she was not a fan of these.  She ate about 2 bites and told me she didn't want any more.

Matthew: He must have thought it was okay because he ate most of it and another one at dinner. 

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I used white flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup flax seed meal (I used wheat bran)
2 egg whites (I used applesauce)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup safflower oil (I used vegetable oil)
1/4 cup organic soy milk
1 cup kiwi – chopped
 
Prepare your muffin tins by spraying with non-stick spray.  In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients except for kiwi.  Mix both bowls separately, and then combine.  Lastly, fold in your fruit and scoop into lined muffin tins.

Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes. Muffins are done when you poke them with a knife or toothpick and it comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment