Friday, November 2, 2012

#716: Cauliflower Soup with Artichoke Hearts and Bacon


I almost didn't make this recipe because I brought home the cauliflower and Chloe was so excited to have it for dinner.  My plans for saving it for this soup were almost foiled...however I tempted her with the Cinnamon Roll Waffles instead and she completely forgot about the veggie!

I was a little worried about this recipe and afraid I would make it and end up throwing most of it away, but I have to admit, I'm already looking forward to lunch tomorrow...it's pretty good!  The only thing I would do differently next time is to leave a little bit of the cauliflower whole to have some cauliflower "chunks" in it along with the chopped artichoke hearts. 

Yep, I'd make this again!  Let's hope it reheats well.


1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth (I used 1 can of broth and 1 can of water)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup shredded Asiago cheese or Parmesan cheese
6 pieces bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (I used half a bag of real bacon bits)
 
In a large saucepan, combine cauliflower and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
 
Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper; heat through. Serve with artichoke hearts, cheese and bacon. (I just threw the artichoke hearts, cheese and bacon in with the other ingredients and stirred to combine).

No comments:

Post a Comment