Saturday, November 17, 2012

#730: Crock Pot Mexican Corn and Bean Soup


I love making soup for lunches because it makes such a big batch and I can eat it during the week.  I am in desperate need to start eating healthier so I made a batch of this vegetable soup to help me get started.  I added some cilantro to the soup to make this more "Mexican" tasting.  I also added (just a little) some mexican blend cheese to mine to give it some more flavor, texture and depth as well.  This recipe needs something else...more spices maybe...but overall it was a good soup and I will enjoy eating it for lunches this week.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 -28 ounces can diced tomato
2 -15 ounces cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 -1 pound bag frozen corn kernels
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 large orange, yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
1 -32 ounces box vegetable stock
1/3 c chopped cilantro

Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.  Add onions and cook for 3 minutes.  Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin, cook for an additional minute and then transfer to a crock pot.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.  Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.  Add cilantro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment