Friday, November 23, 2012

#734: Smothered Beef Burritos


This recipe hasn't been pinned very long on my pinterest board.  I was super excited to try it when I saw another friend pin it.  This recipe did not disappoint.  I was trying to hide the beans in it from Brian, but he is so suspicious of my cooking, he was peeking around me as I was trying to quickly, sneakily put these together.  Didn't matter though, he ate them, enjoyed them, and took them for leftovers.  (Although if you ask him he can taste the beans and they hurt his stomach...not true!)

This is a great make-ahead recipe.  I let the meat cook all day in the crockpot on Sunday, shredded it and put it in the fridge.  Then on Tuesday, I just put it all together when I got home from work and heated it in the oven until hot.  So simple, so delicious.

1 1/2 to 2 pounds stew meat or other beef cubed (top sirloin is great)

1 large can mild (red) enchilada sauce (at least 19 oz.)
2 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 can refried beans
5-7 burrito size flour tortillas
2 cup or so of shredded cheddar cheese, divided)

Directions:
Put beef, bouillon, and enchilada sauce into a crock pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until meat is very tender. When beef is done, shred with 2 forks and return to the crockpot to stay warm. 

Warm tortillas in the microwave for about 20 seconds to warm and soften.  On each tortilla spread some of the refried beans and spoon about 1/4-1/2 cup of the meat (depending on how full you want them), drained by using a slotted spoon.  Add some shredded cheese and roll into a burrito.  Pour some of the remaining enchilada sauce from the crock pot over the burrito to cover it. Sprinkle with some remaining cheddar cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly, about 2-4 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment