Saturday, November 3, 2012

#719: Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Lime


I was super excited to try this recipe out because it was made it the crockpot AND it was healthy.  Oh my goodness these are really good.  I wasn't so sure as I ate the first one, but then I soon realized I was on my 3rd taco for breakfast...so yes, obviously I enjoyed this!  (PS these are small corn shells, and yes, I stopped after 3!) 

I pureed the filling for Matthew for dinner and he devoured it!  This is going to make a super healthy, yummy lunch.


1 can (15 oz.) black beans
2 large orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, diced in 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup vegetable stock or canned vegetable broth (I used 1 can of broth)
2 T fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander (I used fresh cilantro..a lot of it!)
2 tsp. minced garlic
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
medium-sized flour tortillas
(I used small corn tortillas)

Optional toppings: shredded cheese, olives, cilantro, sour cream, avocado, etc.


Drain the beans into a colander placed in the sink, rinse well until no more foam appears, and let beans drain while you prep other ingredients. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes.

Spray the slow cooker crock with olive oil or non-stick spray. Put beans, sweet potatoes, vegetable stock, lime juice, ground cumin, ground coriander, and minced garlic in slow cooker and cook on high for about 3 hours, or until sweet potatoes are soft to your liking. Season the filling to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.  (I had so much liquid in mine that I had to drain it all before storing the rest in the fridge.  I didn't want super soggy tacos!)

When the filling is nearly through cooking prepare toppings as desired: chopped fresh cilantro, shredded mozzarella, shredded lettuce, sour cream, and lime pieces. Heat tortillas using the microwave or by wrapping them in foil and heating in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment