Sunday, November 11, 2012

#721: Macaroni and Beef with Cheese


Okay this is NOT a very healthy recipe, but I made it a LITTLE healthier by using ground turkey and cutting down on some of the cheese.  Unfortunately my choice of using crushed tomatoes completely ruined it for the rest of my family (Brian included) because "it has too many tomatoes!"  Seriously?!  Grrr..personally I LOVED it.  I thought it was best piping hot, and was not as big of a fan of it reheated (I ate it all week for lunch since there was SO much leftover).  Would I make this again, yes.  Would I make this again for my family...no.  

1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon canola oil
salt to taste
Seasonings to taste:
     black pepper
     oregano
     chopped garlic
28-ounce can whole tomatoes, pureed (I used crushed tomatoes instead)
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 box macaroni
1 cup each grated cheddar and mozzarella cheeses

Brown the ground beef with the onions.  Add the tomatoes and desired seasonings.  Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cook for an hour. (I totally skipped this step....I simmered for about 10 minutes.)

Cook the macaroni in boiling water till it’s half done. Drain it and add it to the ground beef and tomatoes.

Bake it in a 400 degree oven till it’s heated through (about 45 minutes if it’s cold to room temperature). Just before you’re ready to eat, remove the foil, cover macaroni with the cheese and broil till it looks beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment