Wednesday, December 26, 2012

#755: Greek Eggplant Dip


I made this dip to eat with my lunches a few weeks ago and I LOVED it.  I had to restrain myself from making it again the next week....it was THAT good.  Or at least I thought so.  I would definitely make this again.  It would be much healthier served with veggies but I ate mine with pieces of cut up pitas.

2 eggplants (about 3 lb. total)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Cut a slit on 2 sides of each eggplant and place on baking sheet. Bake until eggplant is tender when pierced with a knife and skin is wrinkled.

When eggplants are cool enough to handle, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp; discard skin. Place pulp in a blender with garlic, tomatoes, parsley, basil, olive oil and vinegar and blend at low speed until mostly smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Cover and refrigerate dip until ready to use. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with pita wedges and sliced bell peppers, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment