Wednesday, December 26, 2012

#752: Slow Cooker – Italian Meatball Stew


Soups are a huge part of my school lunches because you can make a big batch ahead of time...and it's usually really easy.  Unfortunately sometimes soups aren't filling enough for me, but this one had little meatballs in it so I liked that added protein bonus.  And since I have a growing boy in my house, it has a lot of healthy finger foods he can eat. 

Matthew and I loved this.  The meatballs we so moist and this was really easy to thew together.  The only thing I didn't have on hand were the tomatoes so I omitted them, and next time I would definitely add them in.  Delicious!


1 dozen Italian Meatballs, click here for Italian Meatball recipe
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 carrots, peeled, chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded, diced
1 zucchini, coarsely chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes with liquid (I omitted)
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Kosher or sea salt to taste
2 cups chicken broth, fat free, low sodium
1/2 cup whole wheat orzo (I omitted)

Add oil to a large skillet, turn to medium heat and cook meatballs until brown on both sides, about 16 minutes. While meatballs are cooking add remaining ingredients, except orzo, to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Add browned meatballs to slow cooker, cover and cook on low 7-8 hours. The last 15 minutes of cooking time, add orzo, turn slow cooker to high and cook 10-15 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's
the meatball recipe I used...I just halved it and made about 20 small meatballs.  I browned on both sides but didn't worry about them cooking all the way through because I knew they would finish cooking in the crock pot.
2 pounds lean ground turkey or chicken
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley
1 teaspoon black pepper
Kosher or sea salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 cups whole wheat panko, or whole wheat bread crumbs, click here for recipe
1 cup Parmesan cheese, reduced fat
2 eggs
 
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Shape mixture into (24) 1" meatballs.
When cooking meatballs, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet, turn to medium heat and cook until brown on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment