Sunday, December 9, 2012

#747: Cowboy Calzones


I almost didn't make these because they require the use of yeast and I avoid yeast recipes.  But I made a yeast-included recipe last week and it turned out well so I figured I would give these a try.  I should have gone with my instinct because after 3 tries with the yeast it still wouldn't "bloom."  So I gave up.  But I had already made the filling so I ended up making these in crescent rolls instead.  But I didn't have enough crescent rolls for all of us so Brian got an open faced sandwich. 

Even with all of the changes we needed to make (with the exception of Chloe) we all really enjoyed these.  Allison ate all of Chloe's off her plate and asked to take the last one for lunch one day this week in her lunchbox.  I'd say that was a success. 

However, I'm pretty sure something in this recipe made Matthew's face break out...I think it was the tomatoes and chilies....


1/2 lb ground sausage

1 lb ground beef (I used 3/4 lb)
1/2 onion, diced
1-10 oz can tomatoes and chilies (I pureed this so my family wouldn't notice...they didn't)
8 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
1/2 c. grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. grated Monterrey jack cheese
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper
1 recipe of pizza dough (I used crescent rolls instead)
olive oil for brushing (I omitted)

 
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large skillet, combine sausage, hamburger, and onion. Cook until brown. Drain excess grease. Pour in tomatoes and chilies. Stir to combine and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool a little. In a bowl, combine all the cheeses and egg. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Add the cooled meat mix to the cheese mix and stir gently to combine. Divide the pizza dough into 8 equal size balls. Roll out on a floured surface to make a 6 inch circle. Place 1/8th of the meat and cheese mix in the middle of each circle. Fold the circle in half and gently press to flatten and spread the filling inside. Press with a fork along the edge to seal your calzone closed. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Brush calzones with olive oil. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment