Sunday, December 9, 2012

#748: Spinach Salad with Figs and Warm Bacon Vinaigrette

I was so, so excited to try this recipe.  It sounded so good and had a lot of my favorite ingredients. Unfortunately it was good, but it wasn't great.  I would eat this again but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to make this.  (So note to my future self re-reading this...don't make it again).  I've had a lot of other GREAT salads and this one just doesn't cut it.   

6 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon)
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry
8 ounces spinach, stems removed
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 dried figs, stemmed and sliced
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (I used feta)
 
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate; pour off 1 Tbsp. fat; reserve (about 1 Tbsp. will remain). When bacon has cooled, crumble.

Add chickpeas to same skillet and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and slightly crisped, 7 to 10 minutes. Place spinach in a large bowl; scatter chickpeas over spinach.

Remove skillet from heat and whisk in vinegar (watch out, as mixture may spatter). Add mustard and, while skillet is still warm, whisk in reserved bacon fat and olive oil. Quickly scrape dressing into bowl with spinach and chickpeas. Add figs and crumbled bacon. Toss together well, sprinkle with blue cheese, if desired, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment