Monday, August 1, 2011

#341: Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas


I intended to make this recipe as intended, but when we went to the store we could only find pork shoulder blade with the bone in and it was HUGE.  Brian and I would have been eating it for a week....and here's a little secret...I really don't like pork.  :)  So we figured we'd get a boneless pork loin instead. 

I really wish I liked pork more.  Because I omitted the adobo seasoning and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce these were moist, but basically "chicken" flavored from the broth.  There was NO heat to this at all (which was fine with us).  These were pretty good, but we all ate them a different way.  I made the girls shredded pork and cheese quesadillas because I knew there was no way they would just eat the meat.  They had no idea it was in there!  Brian basically ate shredded pork in a flour tortilla shell...so boring!  He liked it though.  I filled a corn tortilla with LITTLE pork, fresh corn, avocado, tomato, red onion, sour cream and cheese.  Mine definitely looked and tasted the best! 


We would definitely eat this again, but since pork isn't my favorite meat, it isn't something that will be on our menu on a regular basis.  We have a ton of pork leftover, so I mixed the rest with BBQ sauce and we are going to have pulled pork sandwiches for dinner in a few days.  So this turned out better than we had planned.  1 pork and 2 meals is a huge success in my book!

2.5 lb pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed (I used boneless pork loin instead)


6 cloves garlic, cut into sliver
cumin
dry adobo seasoning (I omitted this)
garlic powder
3/4 cup 99% fat free chicken broth (I accidentally read 2 cups, so mine was simmering in a lot of liquid!)
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (I omitted)
2 bay leaves

Season pork with salt and pepper. In a medium saute pan on medium-high heat, brown pork on all sides for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.  Using a sharp knife, insert blade into pork, cutting small holes and insert garlic slivers. Season pork generously with cumin, adobo and garlic powder all over.


Pour chicken broth in the crockpot, add bay leaves and chipotle peppers. Place pork in crock pot and cover. Cook low for 8 hours. After 8 hours, shred pork using two forks and combine well with the juices that accumulated at the bottom. Remove bay leaves and adjust salt and cumin (you will probably need to add more). Let it cook another 15-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment