Saturday, August 13, 2011

#346: Rhubarb Lemonade

Are you impressed that there is actually a glass container used for this photo?  I FINALLY got an actual "glass" from the dollar store just for the purpose of using it in recipe photos.  :)

I was a little intimidated to try this recipe at first because I've never worked with rhubarb and it looked like a little too much work for lemonade.  But I figured I'd give it a try and make a small batch to see if it was any good.  Well, this recipe turned out to be much easier than I expected and a small batch was just not going to be enough to serve my friends at recipe swap.  So I headed back to the store for more ingredients and made a double batch.  :)  Super yummy.  Sweet, yet tangy.  Definitely recommend this one!

8 cups chopped rhubarb

3 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
1 1/2 cups lemon juice
18 cups water

Combine the rhubarb, sugar, and grated lemon peel into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the sugar has dissolved and the rhubarb releases its juice and starts to break up, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.

Pour the rhubarb mixture through a fine sieve, pressing out as much liquid as possible. To serve, mix the rhubarb syrup with 18 cups of water (1 cup of syrup per 3 cups of water) and pour over ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment