Monday, August 22, 2011

#357: Sausage and Tomato Sauce over Pasta

I found this recipe on a healthy recipe blog.  It was supposed to be make with turkey sausage (which we eat all the time) but of course our grocery store has been out of it for the last few weeks now (I'm picky with the brand I like), so we just got some regular Italian sausage instead.  Although we liked this, we didn't love this and Brian is willing to eat it again for dinner (as leftovers) but he's not excited to take it with him for lunches.  :(  Not a good sign for this family.  I personally would rather have spaghetti with meatballs instead.

1 lb lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed (I used mild Italian sausage b/c our store didn't have turkey sausage this week) 
28 oz can crushed tomatoes (my crushed tomatoes had basil already in it)
fresh or dried basil (I omitted)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup fat free ricotta
16 oz uncooked whole wheat, high fiber or low carb pasta

Remove the casings from the sausage and saute in a deep skillet.  When browned and cooked through, add crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper (to taste).  Cover and simmer on low for about 10 minutes.  Add basil and ricotta and simmer another 5 minutes.  Serve 1/2 c sauce over approx 1 c of your favorite pasta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment