Sunday, August 21, 2011

#355: Banana-Spice Muffins


Yes, another banana muffin recipe for my girls to take to school with them this week.  I am really trying to use up some frozen bananas (we have a ton!).  Here's what I learned about this recipe...do NOT use muffin liners.  When I removed the liners from the mini muffins I made for the kids at daycare, the bottom layer stays in the liners.  :(  Oh well, hopefully the kids won't care!  These are yummy though.  Or at least I am really enjoying them!!    When Chloe tried a bite of mine she excalimed, "I like it!  I like it daddy!"  I would definitely make these again...minus the liners.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice (I used a combo of cinnamon and cloves)
1 teaspoon ground ginger (I used about 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger)
1 cup mashed ripe banana (I used 3)
2/3 cup 2% low-fat milk
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup light ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1 large egg
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400°.  Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture.

Combine banana and next 7 ingredients (banana through egg) in a bowl, and add to flour mixture. Stir just until moist. Spoon batter into 18 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until done. Remove from pans immediately, and cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment